Friday, February 8, 2013

Secret Cereal Muffins



When life gives you a giant Costco size box of Kashi Go Lean cereal that no one in your house will eat, use it as a secret ingredient to make these muffins. I was so annoyed that my kids would not eat this cereal. That was until I tried it, my jaw hurt from chewing it. 
I hate to throw food away, so I was determined to find a use for this cereal. When I Googled recipe ideas using Kashi Go Lean, this recipe popped up from Peacock Parables blog. The cold weather always makes me want to bake, so I decided to give this recipe a try today. Plus, with the kids home from school due to the snow, it was a perfect opportunity.  I made some modifications to cut the calories down, I replaced the oil with vanilla yogurt and reduced the total amount of sugar. I call them "Secret Cereal Muffins" because if my family knew that they contained 3 cups of this cereal they would not try them. I think this recipe should work with other cereals as well. Let me know if you try this with other cereals.
Here is my version, my kids loved them!

Secret Cereal Muffins
Servings: Makes 12 large muffins

 Nutritional info for 1 large muffin : 
Calories: 150 • Fat: 1.3 g • Carbs: 31.5 g • Protein: 5.1 g Fiber: 4.1g


Ingredients
3 cups Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal
1 cup skim milk
1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Egg
6 oz. light vanilla yogurt
2 chopped and peeled apples
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar* (or just granulated sugar)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line one 12-muffin tin with paper baking cups. Spray liners with non-stick spray. 
3. Add milk to cereal and microwave for one minute on high to soften cereal.
4. Mix dry ingredients (flour through salt) in medium bowl.
5. Beat egg with yogurt and add to cooled cereal mixture.
6. Stir in dry ingredients just until moistened, fold in diced apples.
7. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups using an ice cream scoop.
8. Sprinkle with Turbinado sugar*
9. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.
10. Cool on wire rack.

* Turbinado sugar is a minimally refined sugar cane based sugar. Some people think it is healthier because it is less processed than other sugars. I like it because the sugar crystals are large and when used on top of muffins it adds a nice sweet crunch to the muffins. It is also a lower calorie option to traditional crumb toppings for muffins.
 

1 comment:

Maureen Fiorellini said...

You can also use buttermilk instead of the skim milk.