Sunday, March 17, 2013

Corned beef and coleslaw?

Is that a typo? What it should read is corned beef and cabbage, right?
Well, my family are not fans of boiled cabbage, I make it every year for St. Patrick's Day, but I am usually the only one who eats it and I end up throwing the rest away. Every year I think this is the year they are going to embrace boiled cabbage.  What do they say about insanity? "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".   This year I decided to break with tradition and try something new, coleslaw. Coleslaw is very popular in Ireland, due to the fact they grow a lot of cabbage. I found a recipe on an Irish blog " the daily spud" for Irish coleslaw and I knew I had to try this.
I have adapted slightly, adding cilantro and lime juice. I don't think either of these items grow in Ireland, but they are green, and Ireland's climate is perfect for growing cilantro, so maybe this will catch on in Ireland.
Try some today, it was very good.

Irish Coleslaw(sort of)
Adapted from http://www.thedailyspud.com/2011/03/11/coleslaw-recipe-irish/
Servings: Makes about 12 half cup servings

Nutritional info per serving : 
Calories: 35 • Fat: less than 1g • Carbs: 5.5 g • Protein: .5gFiber: 1.5 g

 Ingredients: 
  • 5 cups sliced cabbage
  • 3 grated carrots
  • 1 apple peeled and  grated
  • 2 diced scallions
  • 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon agave, honey or sugar
  • juice of half a lime
  • 4 tablespoons fresh diced cilantro
  • salt and pepper to taste
     
    Directions:
    1. In large bowl add dressing ingredients (mayonnaise through pepper) and whisk.
    2. Add remaining ingredients and combine to coat with dressing.
    3. Refrigerate and adjust seasonings before serving.

No comments: