Friday, March 8, 2013

Top O' The Mornin' Smoothie




Just in time for St. Patrick's Day, 252 calories of green goodness.  I actually made this yesterday for a post run protein boost. The amino acids found in protein are supposed to reduce the recovery time after exercise. I don't know if that is true, but regardless, make this because it is delicious, and so good for you. I also make this for lunch or breakfast sometimes, it is very filling and will keep you full for hours. It is hard to get kids to try this because of the color, but try putting it in a dark colored cup with lid and have them sip through a straw. Maybe give it a fun name, like leprechaun's smoothie.  You don't even taste the spinach, I promise. It actually tastes like a peanut butter,banana smoothie. I use PB2, dehydrated peanut butter powder, because it tastes just like peanut butter without all of the fat and calories, feel free to use regular peanut butter. Also, I used left over whey from making home made ricotta cheese (recipe to follow soon). I am sure most of you will not have left over whey in your fridge, so substitute skim milk or unsweetened almond milk. I have made this both ways and it tastes just as good. If you like a thicker smoothie, add yogurt. I hope you try this, your body (and hopefully your family) will thank you:)


Top o' the Mornin' Smoothie

Inspired by Drew Manning's Spinach Shake as seen on Dr. Oz.

Servings: 1 

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • ½ banana  
  • 1 tablespoon PB2*(dehydrated peanut butter)
  • 2 tablespoons chocolate protein powder
  • 1 1/2 cups leftover whey from making ricotta 
  • 6 drops of  liquid stevia** (optional)



Directions:

Add all to blender and puree. Drink immediately.

*You may substitute 1 tablespoon of regular peanut butter, but the nutritional info will not be the same. PB2 is available online or in health food stores.

** Adding sweetener is optional, I would suggest you taste first. Liquid stevia has zero calories and is a natural sweetener that has no calories or carbs. I purchased online, but you may be able to find in your supermarket or health food store.  
Nutritional info:

Whey method:
Calories*: 252Fat: 3.5g • Protein: 21.5 g • Carbs: 39 g
*(estimated, if you find accurate info for the nutritional info for whey, please let me know)
Skim milk method:
Calories: 297Fat: 2.5 g • Protein: 30 g • Carbs: 38 g
Almond milk method:
Calories: 252Fat: 6.5g • Protein: 20 g • Carbs: 32 g

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Top of the Morning to you Maureen. Sounds like a great recipe. I am definately going to try it and I will let you know what I think. Lisa

marie said...

All myfavoritefoods-Love it - add some ground chia seeds too!

Skinnytaste Gina said...

Great idea, I never know what to do with leftover whey!

Anonymous said...

I always have leftover whey as i make greek yoguart all the time by just straining regular yougart overnight and then adding a bit of honey or fresh fruit. Maria

Maureen Fiorellini said...

Chia seeds would be a nice addition.
The whey is good added to soups too,especially creamed soups.