Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Caribbean Red Papaya Smoothie

I would never have tried this fruit had I not seen a recipe for it at skinnytaste.  It is a very large unusual fruit, not very pretty, each one weighing in at 2-5 lbs each. It is called a Caribbean Red Papaya and is grown in Belize. The flesh has a similar consistency to a cantaloupe, but tastes a little sweeter. I love to try new foods, so I took one home, it was very green and very firm. After some research, I discovered that it was not ripe yet. When 50% of the skin has turned from green to yellow and the fruit yields to gentle pressure, it is ripe. You can check out more info including the nutritional info at Brooks Tropicals. One cup cubed has only 55 calories and 2.5 grams of fiber. It is a good source of vitamins A, C and potassium. It is also thought to aid digestion and have anti-inflammatory properties. I made this smoothie for breakfast this morning and it kept me full for hours, I didn't need my usual mid-morning snack. I hope you enjoy it too.

Update 4/25/13: I made this again this morning and I added 1/4 cup of coconut water to thin out the smoothie. This was a fabulous addition and made this smoothie even more tropical. This was my first time trying coconut water and I am hooked. According to WebMD coconut water is low in calories, naturally fat and cholesterol free. It has more potassium than 4 bananas and is super hydrating, has fewer calories, less sodium and more potassium than a sports drink. Just don't overdo it, at 30 calories per 8 ounces it is not a water substitute for hydration, but a delicious potassium rich addition to your diet in moderation. Check labels to avoid coconut water with added sugars. I have updated the recipe and nutritional info to include the coconut water.

Caribbean Red Papaya Tropical Yogurt Smoothie
with Chia Seeds
Serving Size: 1 smoothie
Calories 217 Total Fat 2.5g Carbohydrate 44g Fiber 4.25g Protein 7g 


Ingredients:
3.5 oz. Caribbean Red Papaya
1.5 oz pineapple chunks
1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
1/4 cup coconut water
6oz. light vanilla yogurt
1 tablespoons chia seeds

Preparation:
1. Put all items in blender and puree until smooth.
2. Drink immediately.

This is a thick smoothie, you can add more pineapple juice to thin it out, but you will have to adjust the nutritional info. At 217 calories, there is some wiggle room:)

No comments: