Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Easter Cupcake Nests

I hope you had a nice Easter. I made these last minute this morning. Yellow box cake mix,one egg and 12 oz diet soda. I also added lemon zest. It's a weight watchers trick,it really works. Icing was also store bought, tinted with food coloring. My family does not like coconut, so I only made half of the cupcakes with dyed coconut grass. The eggs are malted candy eggs that I found at the supermarket. File this away for next year, it was quick to make and made a pretty table centerpiece. Since you don't follow the box mix instructions, these are much lower in fat and calories. I only used a half of a can of frosting for 21 cupcakes.
Easter Cupcake Nests

Servings: 21

Nutritional info per cupcake : 
Calories: 159 • Fat: 4.5g • Carbs: 29g • Protein: 1g

Ingredients:  
1 yellow box cake mix
12 oz. diet soda (lemon lime or ginger ale) 
Zest and juice of one lemon
1 large egg
1/2 can of whipped frosting tinted green with a few drops of food coloring
1/2 cup sweetened coconut tinted green with a few drops of food coloring


Method: 
Do not follow cake mix instructions. 
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Put cupcake liners in muffin pan and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Add 12 oz diet soda, egg and lemon zest to cake mix and stir until combined.
4. Use an ice cream scoop and fill cupcake liners with one heaping scoop of batter.
( box says you should get 24 cupcakes, I ended up with 21)
5. Bake 15-18 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
6. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool on wire rack until completely cooled.
7. Frost with tinted frosting. I used approximately 1 tablespoon per cupcake.
8. Sprinkle half of the cupcakes with the tinted coconut "grass" and push eggs into frosting.

 

No comments: