Thursday, April 25, 2013

Greek Avgolemono Soup with Orzo

We have Greek neighbors and my kids love eating at their house when they make traditional Greek Avgolemono soup. For those of you not familiar with Avgolemono, it is a Greek egg and lemon soup, with either rice or orzo. My kids ask me all the time to make it for them. I followed my neighbors recipe, it was delicious, but it left me wanting more substance. My neighbor's recipe does not have chicken or vegetables in it, so I came up with this version so I could serve this one pot wonder as a complete meal for my family. It is a blend between traditional chicken soup and Avgolemono. What a wonderful combination! This came together in 30 minutes. I always have 2 cup portion bags of diced rotisserie chicken in my freezer for speedy dinner prep on busy weeknights. This makes 8 cups of very filling soup. Let me know if you like this as much as we do.



Greek Avgolemono Soup with Orzo
Inspired by The Makris Family and Ellie Krieger's Lemon Chicken Soup with Orzo

Prep time: 30 minutes
Makes 8 one cup portions
Calories per cup: 188  Total Fat: 10g  Carbohydrate: 16g  Protein: 13.5g

Ingredients:
·         2 teaspoons olive oil
·         2 cups cooked  diced rotisserie chicken
·         1 medium vidalia onion, diced
·         2 stalks celery, diced
·         2 medium carrots, diced
·         2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
·         6 cups chicken broth
·         2 cups cooked  diced rotisserie chicken
·         1 cup orzo pasta
·         2 large eggs
·         3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
·         ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
sea salt & fresh ground black pepper, to taste

Preparation:
1.      In a large pot, sauté onion, celery and carrots in olive oil for 5 minutes.
2.      Add thyme and 5 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil.
3.      Add the orzo and diced chicken to the larger pot  and simmer until orzo is tender, about 7-9 minutes. Turn heat down to low.
4.      Put remaining one cup of broth in a small saucepan and heat, but do not boil.
5.      In a separate bowl beat the eggs and whisk in the lemon juice.
6.      Then, gradually add the hot broth from the small saucepan into the egg-lemon mixture while continually whisking. You don’t want to scramble the eggs, you want a creamy consistency.
7.      Add this mixture to the large pot of soup and stir until soup is slightly thickened. Keep pot on low and warm but do not boil.
8.      Add parsley, salt and pepper to taste and serve.
 

No comments: