Friday, April 12, 2013

National Grilled Cheese Day

Happy National Grilled Cheese Day!
When I discovered today was a holiday, I just had to make my favorite grilled cheese sandwich in honor of the occasion. My family thinks putting fruit in your sandwich is weird, they would much prefer bacon, but I love the combination of cheddar and apples, and when I found "power greens" in my supermarket, I just couldn't wait to try them. We could all use more power, right?

My Grilled Cheddar with Ham, Apples and Power Greens would go great with Meatless Monday's Cream of Tomato Soup, if you have any leftover. I hope you give this sandwich a try, let me know if you do. And let me know if you feel a power surge from the "power greens".

Grilled Cheddar with Ham, Apples and Power Greens 
Serving Size: 1 Sandwich
Calories: 480
At 480 calories, this is definitely not a low calorie sandwich. The roll alone is 220 calories. You can definitely find a lower calorie bread, or only eat half and share this with someone.

Ingredients:
  • 1 3oz. Torta sandwich roll ( from Costco)
  • 1/2 apple sliced very thin with skin
  • 1 oz sharp cheddar( I like Dubliner Cheddar)
  • 4 slices very sliced deli ham( 1.5 oz)
  • 1-2 teaspoons honey dijon mustard
  • handful of power greens or arugula or spinach

Preparation:
1. Preheat panini grill or frying pan.
2. Spread inside of roll with honey mustard.
3. Layer cheese, ham, apples and power greens on roll.
4. Grill until cheese melts.
You can brush the outside of the roll with olive oil or cooking spray, I wanted to save my calories so I did not.

No comments: