Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wheatless Wednesday Enchiladas

Since Meatless Monday was such a hit, as promised, I decided to give Wheat-less Wednesday a try. If you do want more info on these movements, just check out Monday's post here.

This was more of a challenge because I love wheat in any form and so does my family. But since there is a lot of data to suggest we eat too much wheat, I decided it is a good idea to go wheat-less as least one day per week.  Once I looked into my recipe archives it really wasn't too much of a sacrifice. A good friend of mine and I spent an afternoon cooking together recently. It was so much fun to cook with a friend, you should try it sometime. We doubled my " Taco of the Mom Enchilada's" recipe, and she has been asking me to post it so she can make it again for her family. I call it "Taco of the Mom" because we eat at a local Mexican restaurant called "Taco of the Town", and after my kids tasted these, they said they tasted as good as the restaurant's version. They were a big hit. I only had to make one small substitution, I had to replace the flour tortillas with corn tortillas. Now, my family are not not big fans of corn tortillas, so I may have to do half corn, half flour to get them to try these. I will let you know the verdict. You could even do whole wheat tortillas and participate in Whole Wheat Wednesday instead.

Now this recipe has a lot of ingredients, don't be turned off. It really comes together quick because of a few shortcuts: I use store cooked rotisserie chicken and precooked brown rice. If you shop at Costco, you can't beat their extra large rotisserie chickens (they even have their own facebook page). I use half of one for this recipe and freeze the rest for soup or to make this again in the future. At $4.99 each, they are a bargain. I even use the chicken carcass to make chicken stock. Dice up as soon as you get home while the chicken is still warm, and I dare you not to eat some while you are cutting it up.

The fresh cilantro and fresh lime juice are very important in this dish, don't substitute.

Taco of the Mom Chicken Enchiladas
Prep time: 1 hr 
Cook time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups of diced cooked chicken (I use rotisserie)
  • 2 cups cooked Seeds of Change Quinoa & Brown Rice or any other cooked rice (follow package instruction and microwave as recommended, usually 1 or 2 minutes)
  • 8 medium size corn tortillas
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large vidalia onion diced
  • 1 large sweet pepper diced (any color)
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1-2 diced jalepenos
  • 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with jalapenos or chilies, drained
  • 1 8oz can tomato sauce*
  • 1 14 oz can chicken broth
  • 2 cups low fat shredded mexican cheese
  • 1 large bunch of fresh cilantro minced
  • juice of one lime
  • 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
  • 2 scallions diced
Preparation:
1. Saute onion and peppers in olive oil for 5 minutes then add garlic.
2. Remove half of onion mixture and put in large bowl.
3. To remaining onion mixture add tomato sauce and chicken broth and simmer for ten minutes. Remove from heat and add juice of half a lime and half of the diced cilantro. This is your enchilada sauce.
4. To large bowl with onion mixture , add the cooked chicken, rice, can of diced tomatoes drained, rest of cilantro, one cup of shredded cheese and juice of the other half of the lime.
5. Put half of the sauce in the bottom of an 11"x17" baking pan.
6. Fill each tortilla with 1/2 generous cup of filling down the center and fold. Place seam side down in pan. You should be able to make 8.
7. Top with remaining sauce and shredded cheese.
8, Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 350 oven for 20-25 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted.
9. Top with diced tomatoes and scallions and serve.

This is great as is, but over the top if you also serve with guacamole and sour cream on the side.
I sometimes serve this with Black Bean Soup also. I will post that recipe soon.

I sometimes have leftover filling, depending on the size of your pepper and onions, Just fill a tortilla and freeze. It makes a great quick lunch or after school snack. You can reheat in the oven or microwave on half power for 1 minute, then 30 second intervals on high until heated through.

* I did not have a can of tomato sauce in my pantry, so I substituted a can of diced tomatoes with jalapeno instead, with the juice. I just had to puree the sauce with an immersion blender, it tasted really good. I might make this a permanent substitution.
click here to print recipe

Makes about (10) 8.5" enchiladas. I used about 1/2 cup filling per tortilla.
or (15) 5.5"enchiladas. I used about 1/3 cup filling per tortilla.

Nutritional Info Per 8.5" Flour Tortilla: 
Calories 382 Total Fat 11g Carbohydrate 20g, Fiber 2.5g, Protein 20g 

Nutritional Info Per 5.5" Corn Tortilla: 
Calories 212 Total Fat 7g Carbohydrate 12g, Fiber 1.5g, Protein 13g
Nutritional information does not include guacamole or sour cream.

Update 4/11/13: My family preferred the flour tortillas (no surprise). I loved the corn tortillas and one of my sons liked them, but said the flour was better. So, I have a few corn enchiladas left over for lunch today:)

1 comment:

Amateur Cook  ツ said...

Hi Maureen. Yes it can be an enlightening experience trying out different food/ingredient combinations with our family members. For example, my 10 yo would be content with a plate full of meat only at every meal, and yet his 5 yo brother only eats his vegetables and almost gags on meat. Now that is turning out to be an interesting experience for me when preparing meals.